Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

The Evolution of cool: A twitter story

Times have indeed changed on twitter, I won’t count myself as having a high tweet count but in my short time on twitter, I’ve lived in say 3 generations of twitter usage in Nigeria.

Generation 1: The rebellious era.
This era was one in which a few people got tired of facebook and its ‘social misfits’. They wanted a new place, somewer they had better control of. They were more of facebook rebels and didn’t mind the low population of twitter users then. I’ll put @exschoolnerd and @hexydre in this era and I won’t forget @iamquedy sending me dis fb message. “Come to twitter, facebook is brimmed up”. I opened my account in dis era but barely had 10 tweets.

Generation 2: One big happy family
People like me came into this generation, we wanted to be a part of the new system, loved d challenge n followed a few good people, @hexydre being one. This era is d era I like to call the ‘one big happy family’ era. Good tweets got u good follows, people wer polite and in all twitter was one big happy family.

Generation 3: The aftermath
A lot of people on facebook suddenly wondered where d cool ones had gone and gist of twitter being a ‘fun place’ started spreading and ‘they’ wanted in. They came in and it all changed. Started trouble, twit fights, #TeamFollowBack #TeamIfYouDontFollowBackIlYabYou then cliques started forming, Here u get more followers for having good tits than having good tweets. We started seeing crazy handles, @iwashgirlspant, @mukaila_toh_natty. People started doing anytin 2 get followers, ‘nakeding’ themselves, stealing tweets, googling tweets and trying to be all witty n smart. They just turned the peaceful blue ocean on twitter to a red ocean of big fish eating fish and shark eating big fish. And celebs also joined in this era n some succeeded in making us know how stupid they are. This is the era we are in. more fun I’ll say but def not one you should be a new twitter user in, cos d way up the ladder is a tooth for nail way and a dog eat dog way.
What comes next I can’t predict but one thing is sure, we are on the brink of seeing a 4th Generation.

This post is what I’ve observed IMO, not IMO state, (In My Opinion) for comments and reservation, tell me. @fehintolu
Thanks

1 comment:

HexyDre said...

Nice one... Generation 3 got me LOL.